It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a farcical ensemble comedy on FX that revolves around a group of friends who own a bar in Philadelphia. The running joke of the show is that all of the friends are horrible people who do not even seem to like each other very much.
The characters are mean, competitve and occasionally racist, but the tone of the show makes it clear that the audience is supposed to know that these attitudes are wrong. The audience is not meant to like or relate to the characters. The four men on the show are especially cruel toward their one female friend, Dee. Dee, played by Caitlin Olson, is constantly the butt of sexist jokes and disparaging remarks about her appearance. This too is tongue-in-cheek, as Olson is clearly a very attractive woman. Dee is occasionally the voice of reason but more often is just as ridiculous and awful as the men are.
Glenn Howerton plays Dennis, Dee's twin brother who is far more vain than he deserves to be. Dee and Dennis grew up believing that Frank, played by Danny DeVito, is their father. They find out in the course of the show that he is not their real father. He might be their friend Charlie's father though. Charlie, played by Charlie Day, is uneducated and lacks logical thought processes. His moments of sweetness are undercut by his bizarre obsession with a local waitress. Charlie and Dee have been shown to have the show's closest approximation of a functioning friendship.
Rob McElhenney's blue collar Mac has delusions of grandeur. He is the most immediately identifiable character archetype in the ensemble. He is usually the one who sparks the gang's crazy projects, which inevitably always spiral out of control. Most episodes center around the friends' half-baked schemes. Their plans usually begin with innocuous ideas that never come to fruition because no one in the gang possesses much in the way of real intellect or talent. Their bar, Paddy's Pub, is the primary set piece for the show.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is hilarious if one can overcome the cruelty of the humor. It has a sensibility that is similar to that of the Canadian series Trailer Park Boys. Fans of comedian Daniel Tosh will also likely enjoy Always Sunny. The show contains obscene language and adult content. There is real wit underneath the stylized crudeness.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Full Episode Guide:
Season 8 (20 full episodes, 17 clips available)
Episode 10 - Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Def...
First Aired: December 20, 2012
Episode 9 - The Gang Dines Out
First Aired: December 13, 2012
Episode 8 - Charlie Rules the World
First Aired: December 06, 2012
Episode 7 - Frank's Back In Business
First Aired: November 29, 2012
- Episode 6 - Charlie's Mom Has Cancer
- Episode 5 - The Gang Gets Analyzed
- Episode 4 - Charlie and Dee Find Love
- Episode 3 - Maureen Ponderosa's Wedding Massacre
- Episode 2 - The Gang Recycles Their Trash
- Episode 1 - Pop-Pop: The Final Solution
Season 7 (39 full episodes, 19 clips available)
- Episode 13 - The High School Reunion Part 2: The G...
- Episode 12 - The High School Reunion
- Episode 11 - Thunder Gun Express
- Episode 10 - How Mac Got Fat
- Episode 9 - The Gang Gets Trapped
- Episode 8 - The Anti-Social Network
- Episode 7 - Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games
- Episode 6 - The Storm of the Century
- Episode 5 - Frank's Brother
- Episode 4 - Sweet Dee Gets Audited
- Episode 3 - Frank Reynold's Little Beauties
- Episode 2 - The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore
- Episode 1 - Frank's Pretty Woman