Watch Archie's Funhouse Online - Full Episodes
The early 1970s featured a number of cartoons that tended towards the silly and politically correct. Archie's Funhouse was one such series, featuring characters from Archie Comics. There were a number of different segments, ranging from skits to songs, with the occasional running gag. The show was an hour long show, and made inroads into pop culture, with some of the first well-known songs on equality, ecology, and other positive messages. There was very little subversive humor, as the show was based on one of the more straight-laced comics. Nonetheless, it was a great show and a fan favorite.
There was a very loose structure to each show. Although there were a number of recurring segments, and each show featured three songs from the band, how often each segment showed up was virtually random. The combination of random segments and music made the show a favorite among viewers. Thirty-two songs of the songs were released on the Archie Funnies featuring the Giant Jukebox, with a number of the songs becoming cult classics, such as Mr. Factory, Here Comes The Sun, and We Are All Family, with Mr. Factory being one of the first ecology-based songs.
Some of the segments became fan favorites over time. There were three songs per show, featured in the Giant Jukebox segment; it has been argued that this segment changed music videos from simple edits of the performer's filmed sets to giving them a narrative element or giving the music a stylistic representation. There were other segments, such as How to Catch a Man, with Big Ethel attempting to catch Jughead Wile E. Coyote style, The Big, Big World of Sports with Coach Cleats, and a trapeze act featuring Moose and Reggie, with humor of the timeless goofball type. It was an animated variety show, and they had no problem doing strange things, albeit well within a G-rating, on each show.
Although it only lasted one season, the show was nonetheless able to go into syndication, and the show was sometimes split in half to better accommodate local schedules. The cast featured regulars such as Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead, with Reggie being the butt of many jokes, with a supporting cast that included Coach Cleats, Big Ethel, Moose, and Professor Wiggins. By combining timely songs with scatter shot humor, the show was able to find itself a niche among viewers, and create a fun time for all involved.
Archie's Funhouse Full Episode Guide:
Season 1 (116 full episodes)
Episode 23 - Really Big Caesar/Acrobats
First Aired: February 13, 1971
Episode 22 - All Tied Up/Tennis Courts
First Aired: February 06, 1971
Episode 21 - Jungle Doctor/Lake
First Aired: January 30, 1971
Episode 20 - Fishing Trip/Mr. Factory
First Aired: January 23, 1971
- Episode 19 - Space Spectacular/Fresh Air
- Episode 18 - Mind Reading/Fast Bucks
- Episode 17 - Flying Fools/Birthday Dinner
- Episode 16 - Harp/Painting Archie
- Episode 15 - Trashman/Baseball
- Episode 14 - Fayre/Nature Photography
- Episode 13 - Chef's Kitchen/Professor's Magical T...
- Episode 12 - Ethel's Rocket/Mr. Weatherby's Campi...
- Episode 11 - Snowball Skating/Bumsteer's Annual R...
- Episode 10 - Magic Reggie/Surf's Up
- Episode 9 - Animal Antics/Roller Rink
- Episode 8 - Ice Block/Circus Act
- Episode 7 - Seesaw/Drive-in
- Episode 6 - Telephone/Door
- Episode 5 - Piano Movers/Light Show
- Episode 4 - Paint Your Car/Breaking Car
- Episode 3 - Jughead Pulls Fire-Hose/Cannon
- Episode 2 - Photo Machine/Elevator
- Episode 1 - Coke Head/Shadow Boxing