Cheers, the ensemble situation comedy centered on a friendly Boston bar, successfully anchored the NBC network's Must See TV for 11 successful seasons from 1982 to 1993. Over the years, the show consistently earned high ratings and won numerous awards, including 28 Emmy Awards with four of those trophies for Best Comedy Series.
The series storyline was simple, but effective. Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Sam Malone (Ted Danson) has recovered from alcoholism and now runs a modestly successful neighborhood bar. He hires Diane Chambers (Shelley Long), is a pretentious but down on her luck graduate student, who deftly resists Sam's romantic interest in the early part of the series, but these opposites attract and eventually fall in love.
Colorful supporting characters in the other bar staff and regular customers added comic opportunities and storylines to the ongoing love story. The other series' regulars include dim-witted but kind-hearted bartender Coach (Nicholas Colasanto), foul-mouthed single mom Carla (Rhea Perlman), Norm (George Wendt), a heavy-set accountant, and Cliff (John Ratzenberger), a talkative postman. In its later seasons, Cheers replaced the Coach character, after Colasanto's death, with his equally intelligence-challenged pen pal Woody (Woody Harrelson); Diane left to pursue her writing career and ambitious executive Rebecca (Kirstie Alley) stepped into Cheers to run the bar. Dr. Frasier Crane (Kelsey Grammar) joined the regular clientele in the third season after an ill-fated romance with Diane, and would later enjoy a spinoff series that also ran for 11 seasons.
As the Cheers theme song so aptly captures, sometimes you just want to go where everybody knows your name. The series created a home away from home for a likeable bunch of misfits that merged perfectly together to become one of the most memorable TV series of all time. In 2002, TV Guide selected Cheers as number 18 on their list of the 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time, as well as selecting two of its episodes on their 1997 list of 100 Greatest Episodes of All Time. For the engaging crowd at the Cheers bar, it seems closing time will never truly come as the show continues to find new audiences. The series continues in syndication, both domestically and in 38 countries worldwide.
Cheers Full Episode Guide:
Season 11 (139 full episodes)
Episode 28 - One for the Road, One For The Road, P...
First Aired: May 20, 1993
Episode 27 - One for the Road, Part 2
First Aired: May 20, 1993
Episode 26 - One for the Road, Part 1
First Aired: May 20, 1993
Episode 25 - The Guy Can't Help It
First Aired: May 13, 1993
- Episode 24 - Rebecca Gaines, Rebecca Loses, Part 2
- Episode 23 - Rebecca Gaines, Rebecca Loses, Part 1
- Episode 22 - It's Lonely on the Top
- Episode 21 - Woody Gets an Election
- Episode 20 - Look Before You Sleep
- Episode 19 - Bar Wars VII: The Naked Prey
- Episode 18 - The Last Picture Show
- Episode 17 - The Bar Manager, The Shrink, His Wife...
- Episode 16 - Is There a Doctor in the Howe?
- Episode 15 - Loathe and Marriage
- Episode 14 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Bar
- Episode 13 - Norm's Big Audit
- Episode 12 - Sunday Dinner
- Episode 11 - Love Me, Love My Car
- Episode 10 - Daddy's Little Middle-Aged Girl
- Episode 9 - Feelings... Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
- Episode 8 - Ill-Gotten Gaines
- Episode 7 - The Girl in the Plastic Bubble, Part ...
- Episode 6 - Teaching with the Enemy, Part 1
- Episode 5 - Do Not Forsake Me O' My Postman
- Episode 4 - The Magnificent Six
- Episode 3 - The King of Beers
- Episode 2 - The Beer is Always Greener
- Episode 1 - The Little Match Girl
Season 10 (128 full episodes)
- Episode 26 - An Old-Fashioned Wedding (2)
- Episode 25 - An Old-Fashioned Wedding (1)
- Episode 24 - Heeeeeere's... Cliffy!
- Episode 23 - Bar Wars VI: This Time It's for Real
- Episode 22 - Rebecca's Lover... Not
- Episode 21 - Take Me Out of the Ball Game
- Episode 20 - Smotherly Love
- Episode 19 - Rich Man, Wood Man
- Episode 18 - License to Hill
- Episode 17 - A Diminished Rebecca with a Suspended...
- Episode 16 - One Hugs, the Other Doesn't
- Episode 15 - My Son, the Father
- Episode 14 - No Rest For the Woody
- Episode 13 - Don't Shoot... I'm Only the Psychiatr...
- Episode 12 - Go Mate
- Episode 11 - I'm Okay, You're Defective
- Episode 10 - A Fine French Whine
- Episode 9 - Head Over Hill
- Episode 8 - Where Have All the Floorboards Gone?
- Episode 7 - Bar Wars V: the Final Judgement
- Episode 6 - Unplanned Parenthood
- Episode 5 - Ma's Little Maggie
- Episode 4 - The Norm Who Came in from the Cold
- Episode 3 - Madame LaCarla
- Episode 2 - Get Your Kicks on Route 666
- Episode 1 - Baby Balk
Season 9 (124 full episodes)
Season 8 (130 full episodes)
Season 7 (100 full episodes)
Season 6 (125 full episodes)
Season 5 (130 full episodes)
Season 4 (130 full episodes)
Season 3 (123 full episodes)
Season 2 (103 full episodes)
Season 1 (117 full episodes)
If You Like Cheers, Then Try...
Most Popular Cheers Episodes
Kelsey Grammer claims he was recently caught in the middle of a Ponzi scheme, and he's fighting back against the company that perpetrated it. According to recent reports, the former "Cheers," "Frasier" and "Back To You" star is suing to regain roughly $200,000 internet-based scammers bilked from him.